Trailhead is a virtual resource that provides online courses and tutorials for Salesforce developers and administrators. Launching at Dreamforce 2014, Trailhead and has since become an enormous library of Salesforce courses for all levels of learners. Courses are self-paced and categorized so users are able to choose the skills they want to learn at the speed they prefer. Furthermore, users can choose from guided learning paths or custom learning playlists to get the experience that best suits their needs.
Rather than static user documentation, Trailhead takes training to a different level by offering interactive courses. You can learn the technology while actually performing tasks in a controlled environment. Furthermore, the entire experience is gamified. This means that you can track your progress by earning points and badges to show how much you’ve learned. Certifications and other accomplishments can be added to your LinkedIn profile to showcase your skills to potential employers.
Some Quick Terminology
Before jumping into detail, here is some quick terminology:
- Trail: A pre-vetted guided learning path containing several modules and projects
- Trailmix: A custom-created trail designed by a user
- Module: A specific unit of learning mapped to a particular skill or topic
- Project: Step-by-step instructions to perform a specific Salesforce use case
For all of the above learning units, you can search and filter through the available items by your role, your level, Salesforce products, or tags.
- Point: Every exercise on Trailhead has a point value attached to it. You can increase your points by completing trails and scoring high on quizzes and projects.
- Badge: Completing modules and projects will help you earn badges! Badges indicate knowledge in particular areas from course completion. Earn badges to increase your rank.
- Rank: Your rank is determined by a combination of how many points you have acquired and how many badges you have earned.
- Superbadge: Show your expertise by becoming a specialist related to a business case. Superbadges show that you not only have learned a topic, but you can also apply this knowledge in practical situations.
- Certifications: Earn a credential by scheduling a proctored exam and passing. These credentials show that you are a Salesforce-approved specialist in your business area.
Available Starting Points
If you are just getting started, you can visit Trailhead and log in with a Salesforce account, email, Google account, or LinkedIn account. Once your account is set up, you will be able to browse through all of the available content. For Salesforce admins, there are Admin Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Trails that are great resources for getting started. The Get Started With Trailhead and Build Your Admin Career On Salesforce Trailmixes are also popular tracks. From there, you can move on to more specific use cases or topics depending on your business need.
Aside from online tutorials and projects, the Trailblazer Community also exists as part of this platform. Here, you can get help by asking questions and collaborating with other skilled users. The community also includes opportunities for mentorship and employment, allowing users from all over the globe to interact and share knowledge. You can find conferences and other like-minded individuals to help you grow your skills and abilities.
Learn More About This Amazing Resource
Over the next few blog posts, we will explore some of the available Trails to help you understand the Trailhead resource even better. And while Trailhead is a fun and educational resource to help you hone your skills, if you have a specific question, you can always ask the team at Ntegro. We can offer advice and supplemental training, and you can request a free consultation by contacting us online.
Have you used Trailhead before? Do you have a Trail that you recommend? Leave a comment below and stay tuned for future articles in our Trailhead series!